Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Beware the Stair...

So, last night - spun with a vengeance to get this baby off the bobbins. I tell you, anyone who handspins sock yarn is a special kind of crazy...it takes forever to ply.

As you can see - despite halving the roving (weighed and everything!), it still made for some whacked-outtedly different halves. Different amount of roving, different colours...I was hoping originally to have the two halves match so that the yarn would do this lovely gradual gradiated thing. But t'was not to be, apparently.

There are colours that plied together that make my inner interior decorator freak out (olive green and pink, for example - that particular combination reminds me of things that my girly-girl militantly lesbian ex-roomate would have screeched at me for even thinking of putting together - remind me to tell you about her sometime. She's the one who would spout ridiculous things like 'no white after labor day' and 'blue and green ought not be seen [together]' - but I'm slowly trying to eradicate such idiocy from the crevaces of my brain.) But there are other colour combinations in this yarn that just seem serendipitious and are just lovely. I'm not sure what the hell the socks that I knit out of this are going to look like, but what the hell...the wool's pretty as heck - how ugly could it be? (Famous last words)

Had a lovely morning coffee and cake with Ms. Frozen Extremities - and we had a nice long talk about spinning wheels and the vagaries of spinning silk and other such oddities. And it's a good thing that I seem to have gotten all that spinning out of my system...as I fell down the stairs today, banging and bruising a good portion of my back. No more spinning for me until I can actually reach for the cookie jar without wincing. *sigh*

4 comments:

FrozenExtremities said...

AAACK!!! And you have the kind of stairs that are no fun to tumble down!! Get thee a cup of tea and a hot bath!

(PS: And I'm totally into this cake for breakfast thing, btw.)

lulubelle said...

Good god woman, is there no end to the abuse you will heap upon yourself?

That yarn is gorgeous, I cannot wait to see it turned into most beautiful socks.

Anonymous said...

You FELL down the stairs? I'm beginning to think you are a walking accident waiting to happen. I hope you're ok.

I think the yarn is fab! Embrace the wildness of it I say - let the yarn be the yarn...

Steph said...

We are going to have to put you in a bubble.

Uh, then again, since you live on a hill, perhaps something that rolls isn't a good idea. You would probably end up rolling into the lake or something.