Friday, June 15, 2007

Catching up...but no rye.

It's been awhile. Been coughing up a lung (that's why we have two lungs, kids) with a nasty cough. YAY for antibiotics! Have finally been feeling better. Anyway. Knit content, ahoy!


Two mini skeins and one jumbo one. The white skein is alpaca-silk with a bit of angelina tossed in. The raspberry-purple is unknown fibre content ... but it's damn touchable. Big blue is merino, and it's HUGE. Probably worsted weight, maybe around 600 grams. Spinning these was lots of fun - the original plan for the two mini skeins was to ply them together...but the resultant yarn was ooky. The raspberry one was dulled by the addition of the white, and the white just looked murky. So, plied them on themselves with the assistance of my ball winder.

Done one of my sockapalooza pals's socks...'tis lovely. Need sock blockers. Anyone have any suggestions for good ones? Haven't quite gotten around to finishing the second sock, as I've been distracted by Mr. Ninja's sweater (back to miles and miles of beige stockinette - someone put me out of my misery please) and more handspun socks. Toe down, reinforced heel flap. But I haven't finished these yet as I'm debating whether or not to make them into Christmas gift socks. The only problem with this concept is that I only know one person who *might* take care of these socks...and I'm not sure that she'd like them.


My Henry's Attic blanks from the co-op also arrived.

That's a big bag of several cones of Kona superwash - both the lightweight and heavyweight gauge and a one or two cones of various stuff like Andromeda and Licorice Twist. (Psst. I found out that Socks That Rock use Kona as their base yarn, if that tells you anything about this stuff.) Each cone should make me about 4 pairs of socks...I'd better get cracking. I'm debating whether to dye this stuff up and sell it in my etsy store (which is notably lacking in merchandise - *sigh*) or to just keep it around. You never know when you'll need 10 cones of sock weight yarn. Right? Right?

4 comments:

La Cabeza Grande said...

My word! Look at the cones of fiber. I say dye some and save some.

Re: sock blockers, if you wet block get Fiber Trends blockers made of mildew-resistant Sintra (a sort of plastic / nylon composite). If you're looking for works of art, get thee over to Leggy Creations, especially while she had her sale on! They're one of a kind.

Alison said...

Oh yes, you never know when you might need TEN cones of sock yarn, enough to make about FORTY pairs of socks. I mean, when the world wide sock shortage comes, after the revolution that is, you'll just be laughing at the rest of us with our measly half dozen skein stashes, won't you?

Dye it up and sell it. No, wait, get the Munchkin to dye it up and then you wouldn't even have any labour costs. You'll be rich!

I thought sock blockers were the recipient's feet.

Hope you're well enough to come on Tuesday. Mrs. Happy was having issues, it was too quiet for her without you and Moe.

Steph said...

Dear Gawd, they were so quiet, Ninja. I felt compelled to holler "Crotch, crotch, crotch" like a nymphomaniac with Tourette's Syndrome.

Did you know that the Quilt and Fibre festival is today? just sayin'. I'm sure Mr. Ninja would LOVE to go see quilts on Father's Day.

(Pssst, they have fabrics)

Anonymous said...

Crotch.

Um, I dunno, what if you RUN OUT OF SOCK YARN? Cripes. I say keep some, sell some. OOH. Munchkin dyed. That would be potentially cool.