Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Henry's holidays - Episode II

So, after a couple of days of recovery (and much encouragement to drink water), Henry finally felt up to the task of travelling. Tragically, I had made plans to visit my in-laws cottage in Kingston, ON at the same time as the Yarn Harlot's book launch. *sigh* Henry was not pleased. And oh my, the temper tantrums...I'm pretty sure that Mr. Munchkin was giving him pointers. But I managed to bundle all of them up into a car, and got driving. We stopped halfway from Toronto at the Big Apple. (Mr. Munchkin included for scale)

They had sheep there, and Henry took some time to roll with his homies.

However, we had no time to get misty-eyed and reminice about Henry's wild youth, and thus proceeded to the cottage.

Beautiful place. But cabin fever sets in awfully quick there. I'll spare you the photos of Henry's boredom...needless to say, it's a good thing that he's already a felted monster. And yes, red wine does wash out of his greeny goodness. Quick trip up, quick trip down. Back in Toronto after the weekend at the cottage, I needed to re-urbanize, stat. So Henry, my lovely SIL and I took in some high theater.

Yup, that's a honking big copy of the Necronomicon. We went to see Evil Dead: The Musical. And it delivered on all the gore and fake blood that it had promised...and more! If you're lucky enough to be in Toronto during this show's run, go see it. Btw, fake blood also washes out of Henry's tough outer shell, just as an FYI.

The next day, Henry, Mr. Munchkin and I all went for a visit at the Ontario Science Centre. It's a lot smaller than I remember it being when I was a kid. But they have a kick-ass area just for little kids and monsters.

Steph, take a deep breath. He's felted, remember? Anyhoo, we were all tuckered out after the OSS, so I went to pick up some dinner.


This, my friends, is a chinese BBQ joint. Yes, those are whole roasted ducks, a whole roasted pig (behind Henry), a couple of cooked cuttlefish, and assorted other entrails and fun things like that. Amid much gagging (from Henry) and stern looks (from me), we managed to get some roasted duck and scooted on home.

Another couple of quiet days playing in the big backyard at my parent's place, and we finally flew back home to Halifax. This greeted me when I got inside...I think may have finally reached SABLE. That's mostly roving, with a few skeins of sock yarn included for good measure.

Gah. Time for a yarn diet.

4 comments:

La Cabeza Grande said...

I totally love the picture of Henry looking out over the water. Too cute!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on achieving SABLE. What will be your next conquest?

I love duck.

Oh, Henry - It looks like you had a wonderful vacay.

Steph said...

How did you know I would gasp? Really, though, the gasp was more out of concern that he seemed to be bathing NUDE in public, than concern for him getting wet. I knew I should have packed his swim trunks.

(please, Ninja, just don't tell me that you then wrung him out and used him to mop ice cream of Mr. Munchkin's face.)

Ann-Marie MacKay said...

how fun--the big apple is less than an hour from me!!