Monday, April 14, 2008

May the Force Be With You...

*Warning: Pic Heavy Post (PHP) incoming*

Like I said, this one's a bragging post about my Mum's awesome knitting skills. During the month that she was up here and helping out with the new baby, she made Mr. Munchkin some amazing knitted goodies. And helped fuel my son's OC infatuation with the SW universe.




Of course, there is some major credit due to the amazing Star Wars fair isle charts made by Knitting And dot com. But on the whole, my Mum made Mr. Munchkin's every knitted wish come true. You can see on his sweaters (the blue one's a vest, we ran out of yarn for the sleeves) an AT-AT, R2-D2, a TIE fighter, a Scoutwalker, and of course, a stormtrooper. I dunno why the pics are so pixelated, Flickr's being a booger. So far, the one knit that's received the most comments has to be the R2-D2 hat in the first pic. I want to find a baby hat in the same sort of pattern - Miss E needs a hat that even she can't object to.

As for myself, the past two months have been spectacularly unproductive. Mind you, I did spring clean like a madwoman. And managed to "out" my fabric/yarn stash in the process. Mr. Ninja decided to help with the spring purge, and he started in the storage/craft/office. All I heard from him during the entire 3 hours he was in there was muffled swearing, and lots of banging around. When he finally emerged, all he had to say was "Y'know, there are less expensive ways of insulating the house, dear." Anyhoo, here's the one FO that I have for you:


Remember this pair of pants and how I thought that they'd be too small for the new baby? Yeah. They were. Miss E has the most adorable thunder thighs, so the pants got deconstructed and reassembled into a diaper soaker. That's the best part of knitting, imo. If something doesn't work, you can just try again. It's a much more forgiving art than sewing.

Speaking of sewing, here's a pic of the baby carrier that I modded - I added a pocket for my iPod and a spot for the carabiner for my knitting pouch. You can also see the ugly unmatching knee-high baby socks - great pattern, I'll have to make another couple of pairs of these.


And finally, this sock in process is going back to the frog pond. Namely, because the tension is waaaaay off. Likely, that's got something to do with the fact that I tried to knit on this while in labour. It's knitted so tightly that the bloody thing could stomp off on its own. Guess I was a little stressed out, eh?

5 comments:

lulubelle said...

Those knits are too cool, you're mom is very talented.

I *almost* called Cam to the computer to see them, then realized that he would demand that I knit him some, and thought about my own knitting skill when it comes to pictures in my knitting...and remained quiet.

LOVE the mods to your carrier...and not just because it accommodates something I made you :)

Anonymous said...

The At-At hat rocks my world.

jkleclerc said...

I think I did see somebody who made mods to the R2D2 hat on ravelry to make it baby sized. I'll see if I can find it for you.

I will not show this pics to Fred as he may try to steal your child.

Cali said...

Love the cute knitted diaper!

Wow, your mom has talent. I love the R2-D2 hat! That is so much fun.

Steph said...

EEEEH! Star Wars!!! Mr. Munchkin is the coolest kid in the neighbourhood.

baby knee socks. Hee hee.