Monday, September 17, 2007

I am as a pebble in a stream.

Have been a busy little bee for the past little while. I swear, it's a damn good thing that we got a new front door installed this week, 'cause it's been swinging open and shut constantly with the flow of visitors. First, my sister-in-law, then a week after she left, a college buddy swung into town (and who left on a bike trip to Cape Breton and will return soon), and my in-laws just left today. So forgive the slightly misanthropic tone to this post, I promise to be somewhat cheerier soon. For those of you who missed out on the madness that was last years in-law visit, (click here for last year's entry) let me sum up this particular visit with them in one single horrifying episode.

Late Saturday night, my father-in-law is konked out on the couch "watching" TV. (He does this every night. If you turn it off - he'll stop snoring, wake up and yell at you because he was "watching that". *rolleyes*) I turned off my computer and passed the living room on my way upstairs, headed for bed. Here's my thought process at the time.

"Huh, there's a pair of pants on the chair." (The chair is right next to the TV.)

*mental click*

"There are pants on the chair?"

*another mental click*

"OH MY GOD, THERE ARE PANTS ON THE CHAIR!!!!!"

With a slow and horrible realisation dawning on me, I slowly turn my head to look over at the prone and snoring figure sprawled on my couch. My father-in-law had planted his ass on my couch...clad only in his tighty-whiteys. I swear I threw up a little in my mouth. Then I went straight to Mr. Ninja and said "If you don't wake up your father and tell him to put his pants back on, I will. And it won't be pretty. I'm almost positive that there will be glowing hot pokers involved." Equally horrified by the situation, he went to wake up his father. Here's how it went.

Mr. Ninja: "Dad, put your pants back on."
FIL: "Why? There's no one here."
Mr. Ninja: (flabbergasted) "I don't sit on your couch in my underwear, do I?"
FIL: (mutters) "Fine."

Yeah.

So.

In the hopes that it'll help unsear the image of my FIL sporting only his gitch with his butt planted on a chesterfield...here's some knitting content.

This is Sweet Sheep BFL roving, all spun up. It's about a DK weight, but I'm hoping that it'll fluff up a bit after having the twist set. But we'll see. I'm still pissed about the soysilk that I spun up awhile ago - tried to set the twist with my usual shock and thwack method, and it went all stringy and limp. As for the BFL itself, it's beautiful and totally soft. I'm very impressed, as the BFL that I've fondled before in the LYS was kinda scratchy and rough...but this stuff is almost as soft as cashmere.

More Christmas socks. And speaking of gift socks, I decided to say 'screw this, I want to knit baby things'. And more to the point, not everyone on my list deserves hand-knit socks. So phbbbbt. I'm going to finish the socks for those worthy of the honor ... and then cast on for something tiny, sweet and utterly cute. So, I figure I need to make three more pairs of Men's socks, one Ladies pair and one munchkin sized pair. Then I'll be able to cast on something twee with one hell of a clear conscience.

As for the title of the post? It's a really good mantra. Say it to yourself and breath deeply while doing so. Visualise the water flowing over, under and around you. Good for the soul and the mind. It's let me hang onto the shreds of my sanity in more than one situation. Here's hoping that little bit of Zen will help make your worlds better places.

5 comments:

Megan said...

Um...eww! Maybe you need to knit your FIL some extra large soakers.

And, weren't they just here? How often to they visit anyway?

Steph said...

Ahhhh... the story gets better the more often I hear it.

I really wish you had taken a photo.

lulubelle said...

Ew. Nobody needs to see their in-laws in their underpants. Nobody. I'm sorry you had to experience that.
BTW...the blue sock yarn...Opal Dreamcatcher? I think I'm doing a pair of jaywalker socks in that same yarn! I love the purply-blue bits...

La Cabeza Grande said...

"I swear I threw up a little in my mouth"

You make me laugh. Sorry, but it's funny. And nobody is there?

Anonymous said...

I saw my FIL in his underpants once too, trucking down the hallway to the bathroom at bedtime at their house. He also walked in on me on the loo once. (yes, door was closed. He didn't think anyone was in there?)

Your house sounds like ours.