Friday, September 14, 2007

Sweet Bejeebus!

Dude.

I am in shock. The magic loop method kicks major ass. Not only did I finish these socks in record time, but I also had enough time to finish a metric buttload of spinning. I am way ahead of where I wanted to be in terms of Christmas knitting. Of course, it helps that I decided (much like jolly old Saint Nick) that not everyone on my list deserves hand knit socks. Like the Harlot says - books make very nice presents too. Heh. But one set down, only a few more to go.

These are in Lana Grossa Meilenweit Tweed - acquired last summer in Germany - and it's just your standard toe-up, short row heel Men's sock. Fast, simple, very gratifying. These were more or less a chance for me to test out the magic loop method, so I wanted a simple pattern. These are unblocked, un-ends woven in, etc. I just wanted to take advantage of the amazing NS sun while I can. Speaking of which, I suppose it would be a good time for me to do a stash inventory...so I can post the true terror of the ever-growing stash on Ravelry. I can't get enough of the sunny days here...I'm saving up my Vitamin D for the winter.

Needless to say, since the majority of the gift socks are going to be knit out of self-striping yarn, I'll be using this rather boring sock template for awhile. But I do intend to treat myself to something fun, eventually. Thanks to Ravelry, I am getting to see pattern ideas that I never even knew existed. So, slight majiggering of plans - one of the lucky recipients will be getting a handspun, handknit shawl, methinks. Just cause I want to knit Hanami. Out of this.

Handspun Firestar roving. You can't really see it in this photo...but this yarn freakin' glows.
Me loves it. Long time. It's soft, and I'm pleased with the plying - for once I didn't overply. Took my time and spent three back-to-back CSIs just plying this yarn. I was going to try and spin some tussah silk next...but I'm getting cheesed off at how the dye is staining my hands. Will have to rethink that one.

P. S. Does anyone want to go in on some Lorna's Laces with me? I want to order some of it while I can (once in a lifetime opportunity), but I have to order whole bags in whatever colourway I choose. Any yarn in any colourway is up for dibs. My jaw dropped when I got the offer, so I want to take advantage of this while I can.

2 comments:

La Cabeza Grande said...

How did you learn Magic Loop? Through a book? DVD? Ouija board?

I ask because I'm thinking I really need to know this speedier sock-knitting 2-fer...

Beauty handspun, btw.

Steph said...

I can attest to the fact that the yarn does glow.