Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Dye Party!

Well, it was more of a get-together, but it was very enjoyable, nonetheless. I didn't have a camera with me (it was in Toronto with Mr. Ninja), so I didn't manage to document the happenings, but it was lovely having Steph, Alison and The Boy come and play. What I can show you is the resultant dye jobs. I did three things that day - black sock yarn (use your imagination - it's not showing up well on camera), a Henry themed roving, and a random skein of yarn with the leftover dyes.

Et voila.




As you can see, the random yarn is kinda sketchy, I think that I have to start tying the skeins together more loosely to avoid those blocked off white spots. It's weird, although my math is accurate, it sure as heck doesn't feel like 300 yards of yarn in that ball. The Henry roving is also turning out to be quite the experiment - the blue isn't showing up much, but the green is doing this fantastic shading thing. More photos to come of it as I go along. (FYI, it's all superwash merino - I'm not nearly experienced enough to try my hand at feltable base materials yet.)

I kept busy while Mr. Ninja was away...


A Diagonal Knot Scarf in Malabrigo Aquarella in the Paysandu colourway. Not as soft as their merino, but I couldn't resist the deep, rich colours. It's about halfway done at this point.


A Curly Purly soaker in newborn size. I'm a bit iffy on this pattern, as it seems like the legholes are ENORMOUS for tiny newborn chicken legs. We'll have to see how this fits.



Eleanor is also chugging along slowly - this is the first sock. It's a lovely pattern though. Just simple enough to be good TV knitting, but it looks so pretty when it's actually on the foot. I would link to the pattern, but Socktopia seems to be down at the moment.




And finally, a bunch of Very Baby Snug Wrap Covers in the newborn size. I love love <3 these covers. I don't know if they're really all that gender neutral, but I don't care. Heh. They're super fast to sew (1/2 hour from cutting to finishing each) and they let me indulge myself in a little bit of fabric therapy. So far, my favourites are the red dragons and the surfboards. And with these done, I'm ready for this kid (well, at least the diapering aspect - I'm all aflutter about the rest of it all...).

Next on the list is painting and decorating the baby's room, getting Christmas decorations up, and doing any last minute holiday stuff (like making truffles as gifts for the neighbors...but we'll see if that really happens). But I want to try my hand at baking Christmas cookies this year. Mr. Ninja's Oma made big batches of cookies when he was growing up and I think that he misses them. Guess I'll be hunting down good German cookie recipes soon.

Also, I'm going to be doing a sort of Advent give-away all through December. Still working out the details, but more info to come soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

God, that sounds like fun. I would have like to join you...but we as usual had a hectic weekend (an afternoon houswarming party at a friend's house to be exact).

I need to loosen up a bit with the skein tying too, the silk I dyed has the light spots...

La Cabeza Grande said...

Go on with your bad Ninja self! The colour is beautiful and so are your works in progress :o)

knittingwoman said...

the diapers and cloth covers are fabulous looking. You make it look so easy to crank out amazing baby diaper items.

Steph said...

I should have taken that black dye home with me... my skein has spots too.