Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Damn, I need a bigger house.

So, as some of you know - my Mum used to own a yarn store back in the day. When she sold the business, she kept the yarn. As a result, I grew up in a house that had 3 or so yarn closets. Meaning that if you opened the door to said closets, you could end up bonked on the head by a bag or three of ribbon yarn. And the ribbons, oy. Mr. Ninja and I nearly got a divorce when he saw the "two or three" boxes of stuff that my Mum put on the moving truck...it was 6 large boxes of ribbons, and a massive chest of embroidery thread. Needless to say, the tendency to packrat runs strong in my family.

When Mum came up to visit a few weeks ago, she brought me some of the remaining fancy yarns.

Looks innocuous, yes?

I can't work with any of it. >_< It's all mohair or mohair blends. And uh ... the colours are very ... retro. I don't think that I have enough irony left in my body to sport a fuzzy, green and purple mohair sweater with any flair. Motherhood seems to have drained any insouciance that I could have used to pull that off. But some of it is just lovely. Anyone? Willing to sell this stuff fairly cheap - but only to a good home. No giving the skeins to the felines as cat toys...

In other news, I have my Sockapalooza pal! As she likes natural fabrics and lace...I'm set. Am thinking of either knitting her Baudelaire or Hedera. I don't think that my Cookie A. patterns will be arriving from the co-op in time, unfortunately. Of course...I still have the beast to complete. Only two inches left on the back of the sweater, and then it's off to the races on the sleeves! I am so close to finishing, I can smell it. Or that's possibly the brownies in the oven. Either one works for me.

3 comments:

Steph said...

That's it. You need to move.

Megan said...

I've changed my mind - I'd like some mohair. I forgot about a pattern that I have that uses mohair. Should I let you know how much I might need?

morgan said...

I have irony! I have irony!! Let me know what's left when I get back?
Your mum is super