Sunday, August 12, 2007

Fluffer.

Had a bright and shiny post all written up about the philosophical nature of knitting and it's relationship to time and space, but upon reading (while actually lucid) - it's steaming pile of doo-doo. Thus, a quickie post to catch up with.

Yarn Harlot was awesome - her Halifax visit has been well documented by the KOL crew (yay gang!) - and there was much rejoicing. I feel that I should apologize to the Harlot - I forgot to bring a WIP to the talk, so had to cast on (twice, oooh the shame) for a new pair of Monkey socks. Not a smart idea when you're in the front row. *cringe*

Have been spinning up a storm. In an attempt to rein in my yarn/fibre spending, I've joined three "of the month" clubs. Two fibre ones (Funky Carolina and Abby's Yarns) and one yarn. That, in addition to the occasional yarn co-op (speaking of which, Yumiko's co-ops kick ass - I'm very much looking forward to the Be Sweet co-op.) should satisfy my need to spend on yarny type objects.

This is what I made of the Funky Carolina one - it's 100% soysilk, and man did it ever leave me and the surrounding furniture covered in fluff.


But it's so purty...clearly, I need more practice spinning silky, slippery fibres, as the yarn's a bit on the uneven side. Now I gotta go and research how to set the twist on soysilk - I wonder if it behaves like wool at all?

5 comments:

FrozenExtremities said...

I saw a few places with that soysilk stuff, looks intruiging.
Speaking of fiber, any recommendations for a good online retailer?

Jess said...

Very nice :)

Anonymous said...

Gasp - beautiful.

Here's my theory on handspun, for now: "imperfections" are what makes handspun unique and beautiful. If you want "perfect" yarn, you can get it at the LYS.

lulubelle said...

They are not imperfections. They are Design Features.
And it's beautiful.

I have spin envy. Sigh.

jlmack said...

So pretty. I would sleep with it under my pillow.

Thanks for picking up the KOL shirt for me. I can't wait to wear it!