Monday, January 21, 2008

Fun with kool-aid!

So awhile ago, I decided to experiment with dyeing some yarn with kool-aid. I was intrigued by someone who said on the Ravelry kool-aid dyeing group that they had good luck in getting a gradiated effect in their dyeing by winding a ball of yarn into a centre-pull ball and then dyeing that. I tried it...and it wasn't so much gradiated as it was splotchy. (You can't really see that from the photo.)

So, I tried overdyeing it with another flavour (glacier ice berry).

Love the effect. And of course, knitting karma kicked in...and I ran out of yarn. So, I dyed some more...but of course, I forgot which blue I overdyed with, and which one I used originally. So, my toes don't match. Ungh. Oh well.

But the socks are warm and comfy. Love, love, LOVE this Henry's Attic stuff. Kona heavyweight rocks my world, and not just because it's superwash and knit up into a pair of socks in 4 days of knitting. It blooms beeeeautifully, and is uber squishy.

The cables are wonky, but I don't care. I'm planning on wearing these during labour...so I'm ok if they get a little scary.

My next experiment went much better - I wanted a red baby hat, as the rest of the new munchkin's "coming home" outfit is red and white. So, I grabbed some alpaca from Pacafiesta a few years back, and tossed it into the microwave with some tropical fruit punch kool-aid. Ewwww, the smell of cooking llama is unpleasant, to say the least. But it took very nicely.

And resulted in this:

Of course, upon finishing...I realised that I had cursed myself, as there was no way that a kid of Mr. Ninja's would have a head that small. *cringe* I grabbed one of Mr. Munchkin's mini soccer balls, and wet blocked the hat to within an inch of its life. Hopefully, it'll be big enough now.

In other news, we're all a little down right now. It was a weird day of ups and downs. Mr. Ninja's grandfather passed away rather suddenly this morning, so we're scrambling to get him and the boy down to Texas in time for the funeral. (I would go, but am not allowed to fly at this point in the pregnancy.) I will miss him dearly - he was one of my favourite in-laws and the sweetest man. We're thinking of using Jamie as a middle name for the baby (Grandpa's name was James)...I just hope that no one in the family objects to the idea, because I'd really love to remember Grandpa in that way. But we'll see, I suppose.

Also, I went for a "check-up" ultrasound at the hospital today. (I swear, I've been at the hospital so many times in the past month the receptionists at the prenatal desk already know my name...) Anyhoo. Turns out that we will be having...



















a baby girl! It's a total surprise for all of us - we were convinced that the baby was a boy, but nope - it's a very healthy little girl! I'm a little in shock...but delighted that I get to knit and sew up sweet little dresses and other girly things now. Eeee! I'll get a chance to use up all of the ribbons in the house! (I, uh ... have a closet dedicated to ribbons. But my Mum gave them to me, I swear!)

So, like I said. A weird day.

15 comments:

Alison said...

For some reason, I thought you already knew you were having a girl. Because I thought you were having a girl, and I thought you had told me, and that's why I thought it! Must be someone else who is having a girl... although I can't think of anyone else I know who is pregnant right now!

Hooray for girly dresses and ribbons!

canknitian said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Grandpa. I think Jamie would be a great way to remember him...

And hurray for a girl! YIPPEE!

lulubelle said...

I knew you were having a little girl, I've known all along
And...I've only been wrong with my own baby so I'm very good at this guessing thing, lol!

YAY for sweet baby girls!

Anonymous said...

I had a pretty good feeling it was a girl too, but seeing I have zero experience in the baby field and I had a 50-50 chance of being right anyway....

And condolences for Grandpa. I agree with canknitian, go with Jamie for a middle name.

And that hat? Way to cute!

Anonymous said...

Wee! A little girl! Yay! And, she will have a big brother to watch out for her, good dynamic.

Hey, you found the "good" colour kool aid flavours....There is only ever cherry (pink) and orange at our closest stores.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather in law. I really like Jaime as a middle name.

jkleclerc said...

Yay, a girl! And Jamie would make a nice middle name.

Your kool-aid dye job looks great. I have yet to try my hand at dying. It's on my list of things to do in 2008.

Tara said...

Wonderful dying! I love dying with Kool Aid. I'll have to try the ball method sometime. The smell is nasty but the results are worth it.

Steph said...

I'm so sorry about Grandpa. That's golf-cart Grandpa, right? So sad. I think that Jamie is a lovely name for a girl. I know a girl who spells her name Jaime (like j'aime).

I can't wait to see the full force of the ribbon closet!

Marti said...

So sorry for your loss but excited for you about the wee girl! The hat is just a gem...so cute. Baby stuff is so much fun.

Jamie said...

Hmmmm...

think that would work with acid dyes?? I just may try it!

Unknown said...

ZOMG! Girl, baby girl gamer. Where the hell does one find Baby's first d20?!

Sorry to hear the bad news, but the good news has me wicked psyched.

Carissa said...

I'm sorry about your FIL. I'll be praying for a safe trip for the boys. Jamie sounds like a wonderful middle name! And congratulations on the girl! I hope that the next few weeks go quickly for you! Girly things are fun to make!

Marti said...

Thanks so much for the link for the niddy-noddy. That's too cool!

Shevon said...

Sorry for your loss,

but congratulations on finding out that it'll be a cute girl.

And the hat and socks.

Amanda said...

Congrats on your baby girl! Now you can make lots of girly things!
I'm glad you liked the stitch markers, they were fun to make!