Thursday, January 31, 2008

Where's the pause button?

For my life, that is.

So, Mr. Ninja and Mr. Munchkin are finally home. Their return trip took two days longer than expected. They were supposed to be back on Monday, but ended up finally getting home yesterday afternoon. (In total, it was 52 hours of travelling to get home from Texas.) According to Mr. Ninja, it's very liberating travelling with a four year old who speaks his mind. My little guy is apparently very good at launching virulent tirades against "stupid fricking airplanes".

As a result of spending entirely too much time in the wretched environment of modern aircraft, my poor little guy's immune system is in total crash mode - he's got a fever, cough and cold and is currently voluntarily laying down on the couch and watching DVDs. If you've ever met Mr. Munchkin...you know that this is bad. I'm worried - he's usually never in one spot for more than 20 minutes at a time.

(Side note: I just asked him if he wanted more to drink - I'm slipping him a mickey of pedialyte and apple juice - and he said all he wanted was hugs and a nap on the couch.)

Wish us all luck getting through this...relatively unscathed.

I'm starting to freak out a little bit - I'm trying to convince myself that we're ready for the new baby...and yet, somehow failing miserably. Everything's in place, the linens and new clothes are washed, and the bags are packed. However, there is this looming shadow in the back of my mind that says "YOU NEED MORE KNITS". And dang it all if the spectre ain't bang on.

Of course, it's the nesting instinct that's driving me mad...while the boys were away, I kept myself quite busy trying to soothe the savage beast.



I hemmed three pairs of pants for Mr. Ninja, sewed seven pairs of pants for Mr. Munchkin (but I need to add pockets now - thank you *so* much for reminding me, Steph), sewed a tiny pair of footed overalls (Ottobre pattern), knit a pair of Little Turtle Knits longies (when I finish the second leg I'll post a pic of the FO), a pair of the ubiquitous Saartje's Booties, and then schemed, planned and shopped online for fabrics to make sweet girly dresses.

Also sewed up some wool and velour newborn pants from the Little Comet Tails Crescent Yoga Pants pattern - I'd show them to you, but they're in a strawberry kool-aid bath right now. LOVE this pattern. Once I had it figured out, I made a pair of these pants in less than 15 minutes from start to finish.

What I'm panicking about is newborn sized soakers. I've only knit one (the Curly Purly pattern in BFL) and I'm not terribly enthused about it. So, I'm trying to decide if I should sew up some or if I should knit...and I'm torn. Send help please? I think that I need at least three more to be safe. I have no more brain cells to spare on debating this subject with myself. The baby is going to be very smart, because she's sucked out all of my neurons.

Got some lovely surprises in the mail this week:



Stitch markers from Purly Whirly and a knitted new baby set from some friends in Germany! The stitch markers are lovely, and a totally unexpected thank-you for the Advent giveaway. Thanks so much, Amanda! As for the baby set - I hope that someday, somehow...my knitting will look this perfect. My stitch tension has always been off-kilter, and I long for the mad knitting skillz that would let me produce such perfect stitches. Oh well...everyone's gotta have their little goals in life.

5 comments:

Carissa said...

I love the footed pants, they are adorable! I made a pair too, but I had to draft my own pattern since I didn't have any Ottobre's! I only has one NB CP soaker too. I panicked a few days before J was due and sewed up a ton of Sweet Baby Soakers, and I've been really happy with them. I can toss them in the wash with the rest of the laundry. Don't get me wrong, I still prefer wool, but the fleece got us through the NB stage since he's already needing smalls for the rise.

lulubelle said...

Oh poor Mr Munchkin! I hope he feels better soon and that you don't catch whatever he's got!

Beautiful clothes, btw, you're so talented!

Marti said...

How in the world did you sew those itty-bitty feet in those little footy overalls without any puckering?? I would have driven myself mad by now with ripping out and re-sewing seams. You rule.

jkleclerc said...

I love the footed overalls!

La Cabeza Grande said...

You're such a good mom! Even when little Munchkin is under the weather, he thinks Mom's hugs are the best medicine.

Don't forget to take care of yourself!