Monday, December 10, 2007

December 10, otherwise known as Grrrr...

Yeesh, what a day yesterday was. I was about to happily sit down and sew for a bit when my machine basically clunked out on me. The needle tension is shot to hell, and as soon as I had finished majiggering it so that it sorta worked...the bulb bust. Argh. I'm debating getting a new machine vs. sending this one into be serviced. It's a Brother, about 8 years old...and it's held up really well over the years. I'm just wondering if it'd be better to get it fixed, or if it's really just at the end of its lifespan. *sigh*

Add to that the fact that my fingers have decided to do some bizarre arthritic cramping up...and you have a ninja with itchy fingers and no way to alleviate said itch. I suppose that I'll try doing something useful like baking Christmas cookies...only problem with that idea is that ... well ... I'll eat them. And there's still at least a week and a half until the first of the incoming horde of visitors arrive. Maybe I'll try making a batch of Icebox Cookies. The thought of gnawing on frozen dough ought to put a damper on the ravenous monster that is the third trimester.

On to the giveaway - yesterday's winner was Tracy! Congratulations Tracy! And today's giveaway is:


This is my own handspun - it's Crown Mountain Farm's Sockhop in the Pink Cadillac colourway. It's a heavier sockweight, about the same as something like Sweet Georgia if you want something to compare it to. Good luck everyone!

19 comments:

Tracy said...

OOOH! I'm so excited that I won yesterday's yarn! And that handspun is gorgeous! I couldn't let it pass without telling you how talented you are at spinning!! Someone will be very excited to have it in hand!!

Shonnie said...

That yarn is so pretty! I don't know the lifespan of newer sewing machines. Mine is a Kenmore, circa 1978. It's been serviced twice, and I've never had a problem with it (touch wood!) ever. Good luck!

Kerry & Ronan said...

Wow, the handspun is amazing! Eventually I will spin well enough to have something pretty, lol!

Unknown said...

Oh, that is lovely!

carrice said...

from one spinner to another... fantastic work!

i hope i can give it a good home (or at least a new look from a ball of yarn).

Mom_of_Faith said...

Beautiful yarn! I'm in awe.

Not sure about Brother machines...I have a White from 1980 that still chugs along (although its' in need of servicing now) but I don't think the newer ones are built to last like those "antiques" lol. If you get a new one, go get a Husqvarna!!! I love my Emerald 116! I was going to get a huskystar but my DH talked me into going all out and getting the Emerald. It's a real work horse and I LOVE it!

Valerie said...

drooly drool. That yarn is fantastic!
My sewing machine is one my mom gave to me. She bought it brand new 8 days before I was born, and it's still zipping along! I'd at least take it in for an estimate of some sort. Hate to throw away money this time of year

yvonne said...

That's to bad about your machine. I don't really know about their life spans, maybe you can take it in and ask them what they think and how much it would cost, then decide if it's worth it.
That yarn is absolutely beautiful. I love hand spun yarn. so pretty.

lulubelle said...

I broke my mom's sewing machine. It's a really good machine, and it's the same age as me and I had it a week. I have no idea what I did...but it's not sewing anything. I have to get it fixed or my mom will probably eat me alive.
I'm hoping to win your handspun, it's very very pretty!

Jamie said...

Oh man. Handspun. I am drooooling over here!

I only wish I had a chance at winning, LOL!

Marti said...

So pink...so lovely!

Kelley said...

Yummy! Sign me up :-)

Linda said...

Congrats Tracy! This next one is cute! Wish I could spin...

Robyn said...

That yarn is beautiful!

Mama Bean said...

I can't believe I won something, thanks!

This pink is absolutely divine! Drool:)

andreaL said...

Lovely yarn. Have fun making cookies!I've got to make baklava in a few days. Bleh!

Bradbury Family said...

I am in awe of the handspun yarn ... simply beautiful! And I see nothing wrong with baking a batch of cookies simply to eat them ... every last one of them ... :)

Berritt said...

That is beautiful!!!

La Cabeza Grande said...

Oh, is that Pink Cadillac delicious! What a lucky recipient.